Barcelona’s Lionel Messi has told the club to go after one Atletico Madrid star this summer – but not Antoine Griezmann.
According to Spanish outlet Diario Gol, the Argentine wants the Catalan giants to go out and strengthen in the summer after a disappointing Champions League campaign.
The report states that Messi has told coach Ernesto Valverde to go out and get Saul Niguez from Atletico Madrid this summer. However, they face competition for the 23-year-old, as AS suggested earlier this month that Arsenal are monitoring the situation.
A small report in the paper translates to: “Arsenal are fixed on Saul for next season according to what is noted in England. The Atletico midfielder is one of the most sought-after players at Atletico, although he wants to remain in Madrid.”
Meanwhile, persistent rumours in the Spanish press had claimed that France international Antoine Griezmann has an offer on the table to move across Spain to the Nou Camp, with the LaLiga title favourites ready to meet the forward’s €100million exit clause.
However, the former Manchester United target could yet be talked into a change of heart and Atleti boss Simeone appears to be growing ever confident his star man will stay. The two were seen sharing a warm embrace during Atletico’s 3-0 win over Levante on Sunday to further enhance claims that Griezmann will stay.
“It (the hug between the forward and Coach) was a spontaneous gesture,” Simeone told AS.”
“It came naturally from him and the truth is we all want the best for Griezmann because we love him.
“This season he has been inconsistent, in the first part, he did not get that continuity which he has had since December. The numbers speak for themselves.”
“[Diego] Costa’s arrival has liberated him and the improvement in the team also. The team did not have consistency in its play during the first half of the season. Then better play combined with results, and that has helped him.”